Patan Academy of Health Science
PAHS is unlike any medical institute in Nepal, in fact, it’s unlike any other medical institute globally. The difference stems from its mission to improve health care in rural Nepal, and its unique collection of personnel (senior leadership, faculty, international support) and students following through on its goals. PAHS aims to create more than just health care workers (physicians, nurses, midwives, public health workers), it is an institution that is training leaders of rural health care for Nepal.
The PAHS approach is simple:
- Encourage students to actively learn by themselves and from peers
- Instruct them to logically dissect clinical symptoms to a diagnosis
- Expose them to rural communities to observe first hand, the health care situation in rural Nepal
- Promote community engagement to develop health care solutions
- Provide world-class expertise on the latest advances in modern medicine
- The applicant must be a Nepalese Citizen.
- The applicant must have completed 17 years of age and not exceeded forty (40) years on the last day of submission of application form.
- Must have passed 10+2 or equivalent qualifications with Science or health science (General Medicine, Medical Lab Technology, Ophthalmic Science, Dental Science, Pharmacy) background from institutions recognized by Universities/Board of Nepal having passed Physics, Chemistry, Biology (PCB) with a minimum of 50% in each subject and also in aggregate
- In addition to the above criteria context of the applicant with Health Science background in Proficiency level he/she should have valid Level 2 (“Kha”) registration from Nepal Health Professional Council and in the case of applicants who have done PCL in Pharmacy. Registration should be with Nepal Pharmacy council.
Selection Process: PAHS implements an innovative selection practice that combines reliable and valid admissions interview techniques with psychometric evaluations. This will enable it to select students whose academic and non-academic qualities are well suited to the mission and goals of PAHS. PAHS entrance exam will incorporate techniques designed to evaluate cognitive abilities, using methods validated in pre-testing of Nepali student groups; thus providing the means of identifying “diamonds in the rough” who would be missed if using the usual criteria.
As per the provision in the PAHS Act, considering 10% of the total seats of have been reserved for the applicants under the category of Female, Dalit, Adibasi/Janjati, Madhesi and Permanent Resident of Backward Region and Karnali.
There is also a single seat reserved for children of faculty and staff of PAHS including PatanHospital who stands best in the internal competition.
However, the applicants are subjected to score a minimum score designated by PAHS in the Entrance Exam, failing in which, the vacant number will be automatically fulfilled by the best candidate from the other categories.
Among the reserved quota, the selection will be done by merit basis.
Mandatory Service Obligation: 4 years in Government/PAHS designated institutions for Full Scholarship & 2 years in Government/PAHS designated institutions for Partial Scholarship.
1. Full Scholarship:
Full Scholarship is provided for 15% of the total seats to the “Economically Marginalized” students with secondary level (Grade 8, 9, 10) schooling from a community school.
45% of the total seats of Full Scholarship have been reserved for the applicants under the category of Female, Dalit, Adibasi/Janjati, Madhesi and Permanent Resident of Backward Region.
One full scholarship for a candidate from backward region will be sponsored by Doctors for Nepal, UK. For additional information, please visit website:www.doctorsfornepal.org
Preference will be given to the applicants with Health Science background who meets the criteria of Nepal Medical Council and has served in Government Health Institutions of remote sector for the assigned period of time (i.e.,2 years).
Mandatory Service Obligation: 4 years in Government or PAHS designated institutions.
2. Partial Scholarship:
Partial Scholarship is provided for 25% of the total seats. Anyone who meets the eligibility criteria can apply in this category but the preference for selection is given under following basis:
- Permanent Resident of Remote Region
- Secondary level (Grade 8, 9, 10) schooling from a community school
- Fall under the category of Female, Dalit, Adibasi/Janjati, Madhesi and Permanent Resident of Backward Region
- Have done Certificate Level in Health Sciences and having been worked in Government Institutions of Remote Regions for at least 2 years.
Mandatory Service Obligation: 2 years in Government or PAHS designated institutions.
3. Collaborative Scholarship:
This scholarship will be availed out of the Partial Scholarship Category, only when an organization or an individual reaches the Local governing body to support the outstanding student/s from a particular geographical region (preferably remote region) not decreasing 25% in the Partial Scholarship Category. There will be a free competition among the applicants who meet the criteria as defined in the three-party agreement and the best student/s will be rewarded the scholarship. However, the applicant/s has to pass through the PAHS screening process.
Mandatory Service Obligation: At least 4 years (depending upon condition led down by the sponsor) in Sponsor/Government or PAHS designated institutions.
4. Full Payment:
60% of the total seats are available for the Full Fee Paying Category. Anyone who meets the eligibility criteria can apply in this category. The selection is fully done in Merit basis through the performance of the PAHS screening process.
Service Obligation: Strongly encouraged and expected to serve in rural areas of the country.
*Backward Region is defined as the following districts as defined by SambhidhanSabhaSadasyaNirwachanAin 2064 and SambhidhanSabhaSadasyaNirwachanNiyamawali, 2064, Dapha 7, Upadapha 3, anusuchi 1 under which the following districts lies:
- Humla, Jumla, Dolpa, Kalikot, Mugu (All 5 districts of Karnali Region)
- Achham, Bajhang, Bajura (Seti District)
- Jajarkot (Bheri)
*Remote Region as defined by Government Policy Document (Nepal Rajpatra, Bhag 4, Khanda 42, Sankhya 50, 2049/12/16)